Saturday, February 13, 2016

Of Loss and Continuance...

My Mom passed away on Valentine's Day, 1999; and my Dad passed away in August 2002. Nothing ever prepares you for the loss of a loved one, particularly your parents. The pain never truly goes away, it just becomes a little less each day. And you learn to make it through each successive day a little at a time, like performing on the trapeze or a highwire...without a net. They are no longer there for you to fall back on!

Sadly, my beloved wife is now experiencing this loss for the first time. Her mother, Joyce, had a heart attack this past week and despite best efforts, it looks as if there is no brain wave activity and life support is all that is keeping her body alive. We leave in the morning to be with our family in this sad, sad time.

My in-laws, Gary and Joyce, did a great job raising their four children and their only daughter is truly one of a kind! Gary and Joyce welcomed me into their family as a son with open arms and have been truly tremendous parents! I have been so blessed to have such wonderful in-laws.

I worry about Pop (Gary) as he and Joyce have been married for 59 years. He's a strong man but she has been his world for so long!

Hopefully, I'll write more later this week on a more positive note and regarding my usual topics. For now, goodnight...

Jeffrey

© Jeffrey M. Fortney - 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment