Sunday, September 30, 2018

Sources of Inspiration

Writers are often asked the source (or sources) of the inspiration. Some answer whimsically, others with great seriousness. The truth is: ideas come to each of us in a multitude of ways!

An idea for a story may come from a sound, or something that the author sees or experiences. Or from the experiences of others. I could go on and on...

For example, the Terra-Bravo Trilogy stories were initially conceived of many, many years ago with my fascination with dinosaurs and the idea of modern humans living among them. Since I couldn't think of a means for dinosaurs to invent time travel or survive to modern times without evolving, I had to invent a way for humans to go to them! As I related previously, another writer (and noted television/movie producer/director) had a similar idea so it was back to the "drawing board" (keyboard!) to retool the idea. I changed the time period involved, the animals, and even the rationale behind the meeting of humans and Ice Age animals.

Since ecological disaster had already been used (and used, and used, ad nauseum), a new rationale was needed. Inspiration came in the form of the growing political divide between the people in the United State of America (and in some other countries around the globe). What could happen if radical elements of one political party embraced an anti-American ideology (Marxism) and, over time, infiltrated critical aspects of American society until, one day, they attempted to assume permanent and absolute power? Civil War II!!!

That became the motivating shared event behind my Terra-Bravo AND The Arizona State Guard novels. Yes, they are science fiction (Terra-Bravo) and military adventure (BOTH series), but with a strong political overtone. Has this cost me some readers? Yes, no doubt! But I didn't write it for those who don't (and will never) agree with me. I wrote it for those folks like me who believe in the U.S.A. and the Constitution. 

The Camadin Station series (and a number of other future novels) were written from a less political, more commercial viewpoint. The Camadin Station series was inspired by a friend who enjoyed my other novels and the way in which I built up the tension throughout each book. He challenged me to write a murder mystery set in space and from that Camadin Station: Death Haunts the Stars was born!

And, inspiration continues to come to me from a wide variety of directions. I've had another story idea come along recently that I've been thinking about. This week, I hope to build an outline for it and get it in the line-up for future writing.


**********

Meanwhile, my current novels are available through Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing in both e-book AND paperback editions at www.amazon.com/author/jeffreyfortney. Check 'em out!




**********

Wow! The weather is so nice right now here in Stillwater, OK. Not too hot, not too cold...just right! Starting to see the leaves change around town and am looking forward to Fall and Winter.

Be safe!

Jeffrey

Jeffrey M. Fortney – 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment