Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Time for Another Update from Your Author!

Greetings!

What a busy month...at work and at home! On the work front, I've completed my editorial responsibilities for Fire and Emergency Services Company Officer, 5th edition, and turned the final files over to Graphics for corrections and printing. A major task on this edition has been to trim the size of the manual significantly. The previous edition weighed in at 928 pages (not counting the front matter [table of contents, Introduction, etc...]). 

There was a lot of material not in NFPA (R) 1021, LOTS of repetition, and excessive verbiage throughout. Thanks to a great committee of subject matter experts, excellent editors, a talented graphics artist, and my stubbornness, we brought the new addition in at 514 pages (not counting the front matter). Now the project is in the worthy hands of our Curriculum and E-Products staffs to finish those products. The entire product line should be out in mid-Summer!

Next on the project list is Chief Officer, 3rd edition. As I've mentioned previously, I inherited this project from a fellow senior editor who retired a few months back. The Editorial and Graphics staffs have been most helpful in containing the size on this manual! Today, I received the technical review comments from our reviewers and spent the afternoon inputting their comments, as appropriate. Should wrap that up tomorrow and return it to Graphics for correction. Should finalize that project within a couple of weeks!

Finally, Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting, 6th edition, is coming along very well. Thus far we've validated six chapters, will validate two more in a couple of weeks, and today I posted the final chapter to Workspaces for the committee to review and comment upon! Will validate a total of three more chapters before the July IFSTA Conference Meetings and validate the final three chapters at conference!

**********


I've been busy on the homefront! Always things to do plus working on the prequel to the Terra-Bravo Saga. Tonight, I finished the last big fight scene!!! Need to write about more four or five more pages to transition from this story to lead into Foothold on Terra-Bravo. Tomorrow night...watch out!

After that, I need to edit and proof then do a final format. Then it'll be time to e-publish.

I've vacillating on the title a bit. Originally, I'd planned to call it Terra-Prime: The 2nd American Civil War. Now...I'm considering Terra-Prime: A New Revolution. Well, I still have a few days to decide. Thoughts, everyone?


**********


Well, time to call it a night. Let's be careful out there now!

Jeffrey

© Jeffrey M. Fortney - 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment