Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Truckin' On!

While rereading Robert A. Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love", I came across a terrific Lazarus Long quote, "If you happen to be one of the fretful minority who can do creative work, never force an idea; you'll abort it if you do. Be patient and you'll give birth to it when the time is ripe. Learn to wait." Ah...such words of wisdom!

Yes! The murder mystery is STILL kicking my arse! But I'm more philosophical about it now, thanks to Mr. Heinlein. I just have to keep reminding myself that Heinlein's protege, G. Harry Stine (pen name: Lee Correy) once had a story that took close to 25 years to complete. (No, I don't intend to take THAT long to finish the murder mystery.

Why? Well, this past weekend, I was driving to and from Arkansas and had plenty of time for running story ideas through the old gray matter. And I came up with some good ones! Now, it's time to plug them into the story, tweak 'em a bit, and make magic happen. I make it sound so easy, don't I? If only!

But I'll keep truckin' on!

**********

Sean sent me an email yesterday with the background of the cover! The man has TALENT! Then he came over to the house last night to work on the "Conestoga", the ship in the story. He came up with a real solid idea and I'm feeling very, very good about the cover grabbing people's attention!



**********

What pray tell was I doing in Arkansas, you may ask??? Well, Julie's and my youngest son was returning to Arkadelphia and Ouachita Baptist University to begin his senior year in college. The dear boy had already returned to Southern Arkansas on a mission...to propose to his sweetheart. So Julie and I were taking the bulk of Gary's belongings to him. Oh? How did the proposal go? Stoni said, "Yes!"

Julie and I hit perhaps the worst driving weather I have ever been in (and believe, I've been in some bad driving weather before!). Heavy rainstorms and high winds so bad, we had to get off I-40 three times because of low visibility and hydroplaning issues. At one point, we calculated that it only took us 5 hours to travel 200 miles. 


**********

So, with Summer winding down, I bid thee a good evening and safety until next time!

Jeffrey

© Jeffrey M. Fortney - 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment