Friday, September 20, 2013

Benedryl Dreaming

I had big plans for this past weekend. I was going to finish Chapter 1 of The Colony on Terra-Bravo and, with any luck, start on Chapter 2. Maybe write a Hub or two for Hubpages.

Of course, before I could do any of the fun stuff weekends provide, I had to mow the yards (front, back, and alley). Saturday morning dawned clear and cool. The lawn mower started on the first pull and away I went. I started in the alley between my back fence and the housing subdivision next door. The alley is about 5 feet across and 120 feet long so three quick passes with the mower and that would be done.

The college students who rent in the subdivision tend to throw their trash (beer bottles, cans, and such) in the alley, so I normally watch where the mower meets the grass as opposed to straight ahead. Ten feet into the first pass and *owtch!* (Insert favorite epithets here!) Something stung my on the outer edge of my right hand. As I backed up, I looked up to see a swarm of yellow jackets heading my way.

I broke all world land speed records for a man my age and weight while demonstrating the better part of valor. (He who turns and runs away, yada, yada, yada!) Reaching the house, I asked my wife to get me a couple of benedryl tablets, while I searched for the wasp spray. With benedryl washed down and wasp spray in hand, I made my way stealthily back to the alley. In true military fashion, I surrounded the "enemy" with wave after wave of wasp spray streaming outward under high pressure.

As the swarm writhed their final wriggling death roll, I retreated once more to my backyard and proceeded to put away the mower and weed eater. No more lawn care for me that day! I returned to the security of the house and washed up.

Well, to make a long story short (too LATE!), the benedryl kicked in. While doing their duty to prevent anaphylaxis, the benedryl also worked their usual wonder upon me...they knocked me out! Hour followed hour as I slept the day away. Awakening hours later, with hand throbbing painfully, I took some aspirin and another benedryl and thus we draw a close to Saturday.

Sunday was another beautiful day. After another successful commando raid on yellow jacket HQ, the lawns were successfully mowed and I was once more showered and shaved. Also, hot, tired, and exhausted...so back to bed and sleep.

So, Monday dawned with a more swollen hand, work on the horizon, and *sigh* nothing accomplished on Terra-Bravo Book 2. After a quick visit to the family doctor and the pharmacy, things are well (or at least better) in hand. (Hey, I'm a monster punster...get over it!)

So Tuesday, yes Tuesday, I shall return once more to the track for a thought provoking walk and then, finally, back to Chapter 1!
----
Stay safe!

Jeff

© Jeffrey M. Fortney - 2013


Monday, August 12, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment