Friday, September 20, 2013

When Characters Drive the Story...

When I met G. Harry Stine back in 1991, he asked me about my thoughts on the series he was writing at that time  (Warbots). I told him that I loved the concept and that it really seemed to have taken off. I was definitely hooked, but...I was concerned about the direction many of the lead characters were taking in the later books.

Mr. Stine smiled and told me that by the time he got the characters rounded out in his mind and within the first couple of books, they began writing themselves. I thought that was an interesting answer, if not exactly an the answer I expected to hear.

It's funny, 22 years later, my characters have begun writing themselves. As I sit at the keyboard and move a character into a scene, the character is really who drives what I write. I can see what Mr. Stine was trying to tell me years ago. We authors may create a character, imbue him or her with certain abilities and attributes, mold him or her with parts of people we know but then they DO take on a life of their own as we put their thoughts and actions on "paper" so to speak.

While writing Crisis on Terra-Bravo, I've actually added a prologue and two chapters to the mix before I hit what is now Chapter 5. This was not planned in the least but grew out of the thoughts and actions of my characters as I merely put a series of obstacles in their paths.
----
On a side note: If anyone of you have ever tried or still participate in model rocketry, Mr. Stine was one of the two co-inventors of the organized hobby here in the U.S. His Handbook of Model Rocketry (in its 7th edition with the help of his son, Bill Stine) is still the prime book on the topic.

For those involved in the Fire Service, Mr. Stine was heavily involved in our career field. At my count, shortly after our meeting, he served on at least 25 National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) committees ranging from explosives to model rocketry to large rockets.
----
Tonight has been my night off from working on Crisis. I've spent some wonderful time with the Missus (date night!) but expect to be back at the keyboard tomorrow starting Chapter 6.

Be safe!

Jeff

© Jeffrey M. Fortney - 2013

Friday, September 6, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment